Listen below with the audio player or Click Here
for complete show notes and video from the show.
* What should humanity’s goal be?
On This Day In History for August 12, 2020
This is the 225th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 141 days remaining in 2020.
* It was on this date in 1492, that Christopher Columbus arrives in the Canary Islands on his first voyage to the New World.
* Also today in 1851, Isaac Singer is granted a patent for his sewing machine..
* 155 years ago today, Joseph Lister, British surgeon and scientist, performed 1st antiseptic surgery.
* Also on August 12, 1953, the Soviet atomic bomb project continued with the detonation of “RDS-6s” (Joe 4), the first Soviet thermonuclear bomb – the first testing of a real thermonuclear weapon (not test devices).
* 60 years ago today, Echo 1A, NASA’s first successful communications satellite, was launched..
* On August 12, 1977, The first free flight of the Space Shuttle Enterprise.
* Also today in 1981, The IBM Personal Computer was released.
* It was also this date in 1990 that Sue, the largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton found to date, was discovered by Sue Hendrickson in South Dakota.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
* Jewish astronomer, astrologer, mathematician, rabbi and historian, Abraham Zacuto, born on this date in 1452.
* Born August 12, 1856, American businessman and philanthropist Diamond Jim Brady.
* Cecil B. DeMille, American director and producer was born on that same date in 1881.
* Jean Cabannes, the French physicist and academic was born 135 years ago today.
* Austrian physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Erwin Schrödinger, born on this date in 1887.
* Joe Besser, American actor was born on that same date in 1907.
* English-American astrophysicist and academic, Margaret Burbidge, born on this date in 1919.
* Scottish publisher and activist co-founded the Guinness World Records, Norris McWhirter was born 95 years ago today.
* American computer scientist and academic, Dorothy E. Denning, born on this date in 1945.
* Also born on that same date in 1949, Scottish-English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer, Mark Knopfler.
* American actor, director, and screenwriter, Jim Beaver, born on this date in 1950.
Listener Birthdays (Aug 12-18)
* 13 – Christine Fiore MegaPodTastic and Honey, You’ve *GOT* to See This!
* 17 – Clive Jevons, Baeumenheim German, Kevin (SusietheGeek’s son and Geek in Training)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 12, 2020
* If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar
* Three men rescued from tiny island after writing ‘SOS’ in the sand – Geekologie
* Stunning Image Gallery Documents Thrilling SpaceX Splashdown – First Splashdown of American Astronauts in 45 Years
Shout out to the chat room