Listen below with the audio player or Click Here
for complete show notes and video from the show.
* Matt Baum – Binary license plate image
* What new hobbies have you picked up this year and would you recommend them to others?
On This Day In History for September 16, 2020
This is the 260th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 106 days remaining in 2020.
* It was on this date in 1620, that Pilgrims set sail from England on the Mayflower.
* It was 140 years ago today that The Cornell Daily Sun printed its first issue in Ithaca, New York. The Sun is the United States’ oldest, continuously-independent college daily.
* September 16, 1908, The General Motors Corporation was founded.
* On September 16, 1955, A Zulu-class submarine became the first to launch a ballistic missile.
* TCN-9 Sydney is the first Australian television station to commence regular broadcasts on this date in 1956.
* Also today in 1959, The first successful photocopier, the Xerox 914, was introduced in a demonstration on live television from New York City.
* It was 59 years ago today that The United States National Hurricane Research Project dropped eight cylinders of silver iodide into the eyewall of Hurricane Esther. Wind speed reduces by 10%, giving rise to Project Stormfury.
* Also today in 1961, Pakistan established its Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission with Abdus Salam as its head.
* It was 45 years ago today that The first prototype of the Mikoyan MiG-31 interceptor made its maiden flight.
* It was on this date in 1979, that Eight people escaped from East Germany to the west in a homemade hot air balloon.
* September 16, 1979, The Sugarhill Gang were formed and Rapper’s Delight was released.
* It was 33 years ago today that The Montreal Protocol is signed to protect the ozone layer from depletion.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
* French mathematician and theorist, Antoine Parent, born on this date in 1666.
* Albrecht Kossel, German physician and biochemist, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1853.
* James Cash Penney, the American businessman and philanthropist, founded J. C. Penney was born 145 years ago today.
* Jacob Schick, American-Canadian inventor and businessman, founded Schick Razors was born on that same date in 1877.
* Hungarian-American physiologist and biochemist, Nobel Prize laureate, Albert Szent-Györgyi, born on this date in 1893.
* Born September 16, 1898, American author and illustrator, co-created Curious George H. A. Rey.
* Allen Funt, American director, producer, and screenwriter was born on that same date in 1914.
* Born September 16, 1924, American actress Lauren Bacall.
* American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer, B.B. King, born on this date in 1925.
* Peter Falk, American actor was born on that same date in 1927.
* Also born on that same date in 1942, American computer scientist and academic, Susan L. Graham.
* American actor and environmental activist, Ed Begley Jr., born on this date in 1949.
* Also born on that same date in 1956, American magician and actor, David Copperfield.
* 18 – Jeff Schultz (Gorbash)
* 20 – Joel Harper (Rincewind) / Milwaukee WI
* 20 – Joel Rickenbach [deceased] (host of the You’ve Got Geek Podcast)
* 21 – Dean Jensen (Beaker1)
* 22 – Matthew Tjarks (Jharks)
And that’s the way it was,