Crack to Cure
All the way back at podcast 36, I discussed traumatic arrest in the ED
. In that episode, I laid out a general approach to patients coding from trauma, in this one I discuss only the performance of the procedure of ED thoracotomy.
This lecture was given at the 2012 ALLNYC EM Conference.
Here are the videos from the lecture:
* ER thoracotomy.MP4 - YouTube
* Open Thoracotomy - YouTube
* thoracotomy.flv - YouTube
Articles to Read
* Why You Should Consider Empiric Clamshell
You Also Need to Watch
* John Hinds on Crack the Chest, Get Crucified
I quibble with some of this, but it is beautiful none-the-less
Most Recent Guidelines from EAST Full Text of EAST Resus Thoracotomy Guidelines
Strayer's Summary Slide
* If cardiac wall motion or pericardial fluid, go forward--if not, don't. From Surgical Lit
* Review Article Paulich and Lockey (BJA Education 2020;20(7):242)
Need the audio-only version?
Right click here and choose
Now on to the Vodcast...