Physical wellbeing can often bring about unnecessary pain and discomfort - avoid all the pitfalls with these tips.
Tips to avoid any unwanted set backs!
Workplace wellness programs can often be the catalyst towards better health, however occasionally individuals can do too much too soon. Here are a few quick tips to avoid injury, even if you are a frequent gym goer -not just for those starting out.
Preventing injuries at all costs
Most sporting injuries occur to ligaments, tendons and muscles, with only about 5% of sports injuries involving broken bones. Most frequent sports injuries are sprains (injuries to ligaments) and strains (injuries to muscles) caused when an abnormal stress is placed on tendons, joints, bones and muscle.
Ways to reduce injury:
• Wear the right equipment - Comfortable clothing and appropriate footwear;
• Increase flexibility - Stretching exercises before and after exercise;
• Strengthen muscles – Adding resistance exercises to your workouts;
• Use the correct technique- This should be reinforced during the initial stages;
• Take breaks – Certain rest periods can reduce injuries and prevent heat illness;
• Stop your workout - If there is sharp pain or a pain that is getting worse with your activity.
• Avoid heat injury - By drinking plenty of fluids before, during and after exercise. Decrease or stop during high heat/humidity periods and prevent heat injury by wearing lighter clothing.