The last miracle that Jesus performed before His triumphal entry into Jerusalem was restoring sight to a blind man named Bartimaeus. This is such a symbolic miracle based on the timing.
Although he as blind, Bartimaeus knew something up was up by the movement and sounds of the crowd. So much so that he asked what was going on. When He discovered that Jesus was going to pass by—He took advantage of that small window. But He didn’t ask for the obvious—sight. Instead, He asked for mercy.
Bartimaeus calls out to Jesus for mercy, calling Him “Son of David”. This shows extraordinary messianic insight on Bartimaeus’ part because “Son of David” is a title for the Messiah and Jesus has not been openly sharing His messianic identity (see 8:27–30)—
Bartimaeus’ request for the restoration of his sight also shows his amazing understanding of what the Messiah is supposed to do. Bartimaeus understands Jesus as the promised Son of David who comes to restore all things, even his lost eyesight.
The formerly-blind man’s first action after being healed is to follow Jesus. This means he was now a disciple and joins Jesus' group. The word translated "followed" is akoloutheo, which means "to follow someone as a disciple, accompany."
Bartimaeus is such an encouragement for us today as we seek God in prayer.
Reach Out and Chat
Join the conversation on social media by chatting about the show with the hashtag: #unfoldingwords
Connect with me on social media:
If you enjoyed this episode head on over to Apple Podcasts (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/unfolding-words/id1390433611?mt=2) or Stitcher (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/unfolding-words?refid=stpr) kindly leave a 5-star rating, a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to Unfolding Words
- Click to subscribe via Apple Podcasts (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/unfolding-words/id1390433611?mt=2)
- Click to listen on Google Podcast (http://www.google.com/podcasts?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5idXp6c3Byb3V0LmNvbS8xODA5NDgucnNz)
- Click to subscribe via Spotify (http://open.spotify.com/show/3SfAJ6dbzkqZhPRMd5Rhsl?si=YdqW7JE4Qmynakt_ydPGMQ)
- Click to subscribe via Stitcher (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/unfolding-words?refid=stpr)
- Click to subscribe via RSS (http://feeds.buzzsprout.com/180948.rss)
Help Spread the Word:
We'd love it if you could please share #Unfolding Words with your Twitter followers. Click Here To Post A Tweet
Support the show (https://cash.app/$UnfoldingWords)