I went to the Central Coast Ukulele and Folk Festival in August, where I had a chat to Dennis Aubrey and Pete Purton, who perform as duo Aubrey and Purton. They have been busking together for years and it shows - their performance looks so effortless, and they know how to engage a crowd. They also know a lot of songs, and they play quite a few in this episode.
If you want to find out more about Dennis and Pete, or book their band for a gig, you can go to their website, www.aubreyandpurton.com, or if you’re in Sydney on a Saturday, drop into Paddington Markets – they might be there.
Some show-related links below:
Songs played in this episode:
- Darktown Strutters Ball (Shelton Brooks, 1917)
- Unlike a Rolling Stone (Pete Purton) – inspired by Like a Rolling Stone (Bob Dylan, 1965)
- I Can’t Remember his Name (Dennis Aubrey)
- Wedding Ring for Sale (Dennis Aubrey)
- Fly like Birds (Dennis Aubrey)
- Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond, 1969)
Please support me on Patreon and get an exclusive Ukulele Is The New Black decal for your ukulele case! Give a little more and you will get your name in the show notes every week, like these supporters:
- Ukulele Champion: Debbie Hoad
- Ukulele Legend: Linda Dodwell
Go to the Ukulele Is The New Black YouTube channel for a playlist to hear these songs as well as others mentioned in the episode.
The music played in this episode is licenced under a Podcasts (Featured Music) agreement with APRA AMCOS.