First thing - go back and listen to Episode 29 Part 1 first if you haven't already - this explains why you should care about what's in your personal care products!!
Now...please go to wherever you listen to podcasts, subscribe, rate and review my podcast with a few kind words...this totally helps us podcasters to be found in this giant world of podcasting!
Also - go ahead and follow me on my Instagram and Facebook accounts here where you'll get access to even more free content all about health, nutrition, balanced living and life over 40! https://www.facebook.com/sandyknutrition
https://www.instagram.com/sandyknutrition/ and https://www.instagram.com/sandykpodcast/
This episode I get into a few of the top Dirty Dozen list of ingredients you really do not want in your personal care products. I also tell you where you can find them and how they can potentially cause disruption to your health. For the comprehensive list, go here (this is where most of my research came from and David Suzuki is a very reliable resource!).
Here are are few ingredients I talk about and to watch for in your products:
- BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole)
- BHT (butylated hydroxy toluene)
- PPD (phenylenediamine)
- DEA (diethanolamine)
- DBP (dibutyl phthalate)
- Formeldehyde-releasing preservatives like methenamine, diazolidinyl urea
- Parabens - methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben
- PEG (polyethylene glycols) - petroleum-based
- Siloxanes - these ingredients end in "siloxane" or "methicone"
- SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) or SLES (Sodium laureth sulfate)
- Fragrance or Parfum - this is the TRICKIEST one of all - many many ingredients can be thrown in this one category. ASK the questions of the manufacturer!
Apps you can use to help you:
EWG Healthy Living