As an actress, a comedian and a mom, Karen Manthey had to improvise and act on faith in order to create a dream life that she never could have scripted on her own.
About Karen Manthey
When Karen Manthey first auditioned for a well-known improv company, she bombed. Disappointed and certain that she’d lost her chance to be part of the troupe but still wanting to learn and grow her comedic talent, she emailed the director and asked if she could at least be an usher at the performances. To her surprise, the director quickly responded and informed Karen that she had been accepted into the group—the email offer must have gone to a junk folder on her computer.
Had she not taken the time to follow-up and offer to help, Karen thinks she might have missed the opportunity altogether.
Though not even close to the scariest thing she’s done in her life, overcoming fear and being willing to fail is a constant storyline for this improviser, who is also a wife and mother of four children.
In this episode Karen shares how she got started as an improv comedian and the pivot points that took her in a direction she never could have imagined for herself.
What You'll Learn in this Episode
- How Karen views scary things as opportunities to learn and grow
- An improv trick that everyone can use to embrace opportunities
- How she juggles a comedic career and her family
- Most Importantly: How she has seen the Lord’s hand in her career.
Mentioned in this Episode
- Game Changer Improv is the improv performance group that Karen Manthey founded along with some of Boise, Idaho’s most seasoned improvisors. They perform, teach classes, and conduct team building workshops.
- Recycled Minds Comedy provides classes and corporate training programs for people who want to improve communication, confidence, team-building and more.