Join Epic storytellers and creative teachers as they discuss how to draw out curriculum links from this week's Epic Storytime podcast with easy, fun, and engaging activities.
This week, Epic storytellers Chip and Janina (also an Epic mum!) are joined by Helen, an EYFS and KS1 teacher from Milton Keynes, and Jane Bower, an actor, author, and former teacher for both KS1 and KS2. Together they discuss the curriculum links within the tricksie tale of "Anansi's Quest of Quests". Discover how to get your children excited about exploring the mechanics of pivots, the structure of stories, the animals of Africa... and much more!
We're proud to have produced these podcasts completely free for the benefit of schools and homelearning families since the start of the first UK lockdown. However, like many businesses, Epic is now struggling to survive this pandemic.
Can you help by sending us just £20? We only need to raise £200 to continue these podcasts in the New Year. If you find them of value, please consider donating via pod.fan/epictales
If you can't help financially, we'll still be enormously grateful if you could support us with a review on your favourite podcast app – or on your favourite social media site, tagging us in with @EpicTalesST
00:00 | Introductions
01:21 | "Anansi's Quest of Quests" excerpt
02:57 | Story structure (all ages)
08:22 | Curriculum links for ages 4 to 7
• Science – animals (08:37)
• History (11:00)
• Art / Geography – maps and journeys (13:18)
• Literacy – sequencing and story structure (14:55); similes and metaphors (16:40); sounds and phonics (21:18)
• Numeracy – capacity and estimation (22:35), mathematical language (25:56)
• DT – catapults (24:00)
26:24 | Curriculum links for ages 7 to 11
• DT / Science – forces, pivots, and levers (26:25); designing experiments (29:40)
• Literacy – fantasy and reality boundaries (31:53)
• Core skills – "Mantle of the Expert" (34:20); self-criticism (36:00)
• Numeracy – estimation and quantifying (38:07)
• Geography – maps (39:25); cultural heritage (42:00)
• PSHCE – deserving and earning (40:25)
48:20 | All-age curriculum links
• Core skills – play and imagination (50:30); problem solving (53:50)
If you enjoy this podcast, please do leave us a review – we'd love to know your thoughts!
Find more storytelling resources at epictales.co.uk, including videos and Creative Challenges for your children.
This audio is made available under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial 4.0 Licence.