Join Epic storytellers and creative teachers as they discuss how to draw out learning outcomes from this week's Epic Tale with fun and engaging activities.
To mark World Space Week we share a Mexican love story between the Sun and Moon – though it doesn't quite go how the Sun expects... Discover how his romantic efforts can help your children conquer rhyme, multiplication, and more!
This week, Epic storyteller Chip is joined by Helen, an EYFS–KS1 teacher from Buckinghamshire; Bex, a Deputy Head from Cambridgeshire; and Rob, a KS2 teacher also from Buckinghamshire.
We're proud to have produced these podcasts completely free for the benefit of schools and homelearning families since the start of the first UK lockdown. However, like many businesses, Epic is now struggling to survive this pandemic.
Can you help by sending us just £20? We only need to raise £200 to continue these podcasts in the New Year. If you find them of value, please consider donating via pod.fan/epictales
If you can't help financially, we'll still be enormously grateful if you could support us with a review on your favourite podcast app – or on your favourite social media site, tagging us in with @EpicTalesST
Intros | 0:00
"Through the Forest" Excerpt | 1:46
For a more detailed breakdown, visit buzzsprout.com/967114/5693173
- Literacy, Geography, PSHCE: persistence; comparing cultures; comparing characters; the Sun and the Moon in literature & folklore (6:34) | positive body image; equality (8:17) | sex and relationships; choice and consent; healthy relationships (10:58)
- Science: Sun & Moon; light & dark; shadows (16:29) | the Solar System; phases of the Moon; skills of a scientist (17:34) | rocks & soils; diamonds; Charlotte Guillain's "The Street Beneath My Feet" (29:34) | classifying (30:44)
- Numeracy, Science, DT: spheres; measuring circumferences; problem-solving; change in materials; paper mache; natural materials; designing & making; joining (21:16) | galactic Top Trumps game; clothes production; budgeting (40:45)
- Literacy, Geography: landscapes; poetry; rhyme (23:33) | locating major countries on a map; co-ordinates (35:41)
- History: Moon landings; significant individuals; discovery of the Americas (25:49)
- Science, Art: night sky images; texture; painting; printing (26:22)
- Literacy, Numeracy, DT, Art: wedding/party planning; cooking; dressing up (27:14) | Jonathan Emmett's "Bringing Down the Moon" (27:52)
- Numeracy: prediction; counting backwards & forwards; fractions; counting in steps; multiplication; division; working out unknown facts from known facts (31:16)
- Geography, Art: naming the continents (37:17) | Vincent van Gogh's "The Starry Night"; imitating the style of an artist (37:35)
- RE, PSHCE: weddings; different faiths (38:11)
- Science, PSHCE: women in science (46:50)
- Literacy, Science, Geography, DT, Music, Art: research; physical features of Earth; presenting findings; dance; Holst's "The Planets" suite (49:30) | clay-modelling; clay carving (52:24)
We'd love to hear how you get on with these ideas! Please leave us a review with your favourite podcast app, find us on social media @EpicTalesST, or email email@example.com
Have a learning outcome you'd like us to cover in a future episode? Email firstname.lastname@example.org